The majority residential fence heights are in the range of about three feet tall to about eight feet tall, but there are many different factors to consider when choosing the height of your fence. The general height for a privacy residential fence is about 6 feet, but if it is not for privacy reasons then you have many more options. To choose the ideal fence height for your home you will want to decide the design and the purpose of your fence, consider its location, and most importantly take into account to any local laws and regulations. Then you should be ready get going!
First determine the Purpose:
- Boundary: Used to create a clear boundary between your property and a neighbors, no correct height.
- Privacy: A 6 foot fence is usually sufficient to keep neighbors from looking in. Keep in mind that may vary if you are on a hill or incline.
- Pool: Generally required to be at least 4 feet tall for safety. Will want to check with local guidelines as well.
- Decorative: Decorative fences are all about what looks good, so all that matter in a decorative fence is that you like it.
- Garden: 3 to 4 feet is a good amount to be able to see in, but keep larger animals out. If you have problems with small animals, you may want a solid fence.
- Pet: Depends on how high your pet can jump.
About the Author
My name is Andre Nofziger. I work for Newark, Ohio Fencing Company: https://www.newarkohiofencingcompany.com/. We do all these kinds of fencing plus more in Central Ohio, so if you are interested in a fence just let us know.